How to insure an old, classic or vintage motorhome

Getting insurance for a classic motorhome or camper can be tricky, but remember that even for tax exempt vehicles insurance is a legal requirement, unless the vehicle has been officially registered as off the road (SORN).

A company which specialises in insuring vintage motorhomes is the best place to start for any owner as they are not only the most likely to be able to offer cover, but will also be able to give invaluable advice on the type and amount of cover needed, which a general motor insurer may not be able to provide.

Remember that three of the main rating factors on all motorhome insurance premiums are the value, your no claims bonus entitlement, and where they are going to be kept. So if you’ve got a very high value classic motorhome such as an American RV, Winnebago, or Volkswagen (VW) Camper (which can be worth over £30k) you may want to fit a tracking device or alarm system to bring down the price of your premium. Some insurers may even require certain security devices in order to be able to provide insurance.

Many classic motorhome insurance policies will work on an ‘agreed value’ basis, this means that you agree the value of your motorhome with the insurer, and your premium is based on this as the insured sum. In the event of your classic motorhome being stolen or damaged beyond economic repair you would be paid out this ‘agreed value’ in full. To get to an agreed valuation, you may have to provide a valuation certificate from a recognised independent valuer. In addition or instead of this you may have to produce evidence of bills for work carried out on the motorhome, service reports and photographs.

Conversely some classic motorhome insurance policies may have a minimum value before they can provide cover. This could be as low as £1000 or as high as £5000.

As well as this, some policies have a maximum mileage which might restrict you to travelling less than 3000 miles per annum in your motorhome or camper.

Classic motorhome or classic camper insurance is typically for vehicles over 20 years of age. If your motorhome is less than 21 years old, then a mainstream ‘non-classic’ motorhome insurer may be able to insure your motorhome on a market value policy. See our tips for buying non-classic motorhome insurance.

Some cover benefits which you should look out for when you compare classic motorhome insurance policies are: Comprehensive “all risks” cover which includes damage to windscreens; cover for equipment such as gas bottles, generators, TV’s and Sat-Navs; personal accident cover; cover for trailers and a-frames which you may use to tow a small car. You may also need to check how many days the policy allows you to tour Europe for.

Roadside breakdown and recovery is an important element of cover for classic motorhomes, which because of their older engines and driving components, can be more susceptible to breakdown. Classic motorhome insurers may offer UK breakdown either as standard, or as an optional extra, and many even provide breakdown and recovery throughout Europe. If you are intending on touring on the continent be sure to have the relevant cover in place, and make sure that the recovery company used is equipped to deal with your motorhome’s size and weight – particularly important for owners of large classic American RV’s or A-Class motorhomes.

Why not request a classic motorhome insurance quote today?

Back to top